Welcome to my blog

I hope you will find the recipe you are looking for your occasion here.

Now video instructions are available for select recipes and can be accessed at

Gardening and Cooking Made Easy

The latest 5 recipes are displayed on the
main page. For more recipes, you can browse the archive, click on the labels in the index to the left or use the Custom search below to look for a specific recipe.



Search for more results

Custom Search

Friday, July 20, 2018

Gluten Free Pizza Base, using lentils and beans

I had soaked various dals and rice and had fermented the batter. I make idlis with this batter often and remembered a chana and mung dal pizza post shared by Mr Sikand on a food group and decided to use the same principle to make this mixed dal pizza base.



Ingredients 
1 cup each of idli rice, tur dal, urad dal, mung dal, chana dal - soak for a few hours and grind it to make a thick batter (idli consistency)Ferment overnight.
1 cup of batter makes one crust, for thinner crispier crust, 1/2 cup batter will work well. 
This is for a 9x5 bread loaf pan 1 tsp ginger chilli paste (optional. I added the ginger to aid in digestion of the dals)
salt to taste
1/4 tsp Eno/fruit salt- optional - if batter is not well fermented use Eno.1 tbsp water (dissolve the Eno in the water before adding to batter and mixing so that it spreads evenly) 
butter to grease the pan
ready made pizza sauce or Marinara sauce
shredded cheese



Method 
Mix together the batter, ginger chilli paste and salt. Grease the pan well with butter. Pour the batter in the pan and bake at 350F for about 20 mins. Test with a toothpick or skewer and if it comes out clean, it is baked. At this stage I removed it from the pan and flipped it over and browned the top side which had remained cream during the cooking. I browned one crust in the oven and another crust on the tava. The tava was much faster. Now spread the marinara/pizza sauce and top with shredded cheese and put it back in the oven and bake till the cheese has melted. 



Tips
We loved the taste and I will be making it often and I will try out different toppings. I think it will taste great if I make a sauce with Indian seasonings. I didn't need to use the Eno as the batter was well ferment and rose well as it baked. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment