Welcome to my blog

I hope you will find the recipe you are looking for your occasion here.

Now video instructions are available for select recipes and can be accessed at

Gardening and Cooking Made Easy

The latest 5 recipes are displayed on the
main page. For more recipes, you can browse the archive, click on the labels in the index to the left or use the Custom search below to look for a specific recipe.



Search for more results

Custom Search

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Fodni Chi Poli/ Chapati with Seasoning

This is one of my favorite breakfast dishes. We call it "khous khous" at home. I am not sure how the name was created, but it stuck and I still call it "khous khous" to this day. It takes me back to childhood. I remember all those mornings when I used to sit at the dining room table, carefully breaking previous night's rotis into small pieces. I also remember taking an inordinate time trying to make even pieces and making my mom rush to get it into the tadka in time. Ah good old days! These days it is rare that I have enough rotis left over to make this dish but I really love to make it when I can. It is generally made with at least a day old rotis and is one of the ways to use up the chapatis from the previous day. The old rotis give it a crisper texture.


Ingredients
5-8 chapatis/rotis/phulkas - generally a day old
1-2 green chillies to taste
salt to taste
1/2 tsp  sugar
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp mustard seeds
1/8 tsp cumin seeds
1/2-3/4 onion diced
pinch of asafoetida
cilantro for granish
1 tbsp oil


Method
Heat the oil and add the mustard and cumin seeds to it. Once these seeds crackle, add the onions and fry till light brown. Add the green chillies and turmeric. Tear the rotis into small pieces. You can use a food processor to cut them up. The pieces need to be about 1-2 cms in size. To these roti pieces add the salt and sugar. Add this to the fried onion tadka. Stir well and mix.  Cook for a few more minutes. Serve hot. Garnish with cilantro.


Tips
Serve with some lime, pickle or yogurt. The longer you keep it on the heat, the crisper it will get.

0 comments:

Post a Comment