Welcome to my blog

I hope you will find the recipe you are looking for your occasion here.

Now video instructions are available for select recipes and can be accessed at

Gardening and Cooking Made Easy

The latest 5 recipes are displayed on the
main page. For more recipes, you can browse the archive, click on the labels in the index to the left or use the Custom search below to look for a specific recipe.



Search for more results

Custom Search

Friday, August 19, 2011

Mushroom Soup

When I was younger, I didn't like mushrooms. Then sometime during my teens, I tasted them on top of a pizza and started liking them. Then, I tried the mushroom soup that my Mom made and I loved it. I still remember the last time I ate the one made by Mom. It was nine years ago and I still associate it with warmth, love and comfort.  So, this is a recipe I turn to during the cold months or when I want something that will fill my tummy and soul with warmth. Mushrooms are high in proteins, so it is a very nutritious soup as well. I usually make a leaner version by skipping the cream, but addition of cream towards the end of the cooking process is a must for special occasions.



Ingredients
15-20 button mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp butter or olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
salt to taste
some cream or milk to finish off the soup, to taste
1-2 cups of water



Method
Heat butter or olive oil in a pan. Add the garlic and onion to it and sautee. Cook the onion till it is transluscent. Keep aside some mushroom slices and add the rest to the pan and cook till the mushrooms are softened. Then, puree this, adding water as needed. The soup should not be too watery. Then add the milk or cream to the pureed soup and heat. Add, the remaining mushroom slices. Add salt and stir. Turn off  the heat once it starts simmering and the mushroom pieces become tender. Serve hot. Pair it with a slice of bread for a complete and quick meal.





Tips
I have always heard everyone say that you should not wash mushrooms, but just wipe them off with a damp towel. However, I wash the mushrooms and immediately wipe them before cutting. I have not noticed any issues with doing that. If the stem of the mushroom feels too stocky, just use the cap.

0 comments:

Post a Comment