Welcome to my blog

I hope you will find the recipe you are looking for your occasion here.

Now video instructions are available for select recipes and can be accessed at

Gardening and Cooking Made Easy

The latest 5 recipes are displayed on the
main page. For more recipes, you can browse the archive, click on the labels in the index to the left or use the Custom search below to look for a specific recipe.



Search for more results

Custom Search

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Instant Rava Dosa

We enjoy South Indian food. I do find it tedious to have to pre-plan if I want to make Dosa though. I came back from work, and decided to make some sambhar. An idea struck and I thought why not try to make some kind of a Dosa. Of course I didn't have the time to soak urid dal and rice. So I decided to use some rice flour instead. To balance the stickiness of the rice, I added rava/sooji. This surprisingly tasted very similar to the authentic rava dosa.



Ingredients
2 cups - Rice Flour
1/2 cup - fine rava/sooji
1/4 cup - yogurt
salt to taste
1-2 green chillies - cut finely to taste
water to make the batter
oil to make the dosa

Method
Mix all the ingredients together except the water and mix. Slowly add water to this mixture till you get a water consistency. It should flow easily when you pour it. Heat a griddle. Add some oil to the griddle once its hot. Pour a ladle of batter and spread it around. Cover the dosa, and let it cook. After cooking it for 2-3 minutes, test to see if the dosa will come off the pan easily. Once it has cooked sufficiently and is golden brown, flip it over. Cook it for another minute or so, add a little oil around the edges of the dosa. Serve with sambhar and chutney.


Tips
I generally tilt the pan or the griddle and move it around to spread the batter. This batter has a tendency to be sticky till it is cooked through, so its easier to spread by tilting the pan. The watery batter with the rava added to it creates a net pattern typical of a rava dosa.

1 comment:

  1. I'm definately gonna try this...I love dosa too! :) Thanks for sharing it...

    ReplyDelete